Friday, March 23, 2012

I want to ‘Go with Oh’ to Barcelona

The last few trips I've taken have been a bit... third world. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed all of my trips to Central and South America over the past few years, but frankly I just want to enjoy the luxuries of western culture on my next trip and not end up with a stomach virus or worry about whether or not going to the doctor in a country would be more detrimental than just ignoring a head injury....

So Europe it is. It's decided. I've been itching to go to Spain for a while now, with the particular desire to spend significant time in Barcelona. Barcelona has a little bit of everything that I look for in a vacation destination: it's urban, it has beaches, it has stunning architecture, rich history, and just every cultural activity you could imagine. So here's the top 5 activities on my Barcelona wishlist:


1. An architectural tour of the city, including the Gothic Quarter, the modernista buildings,
 the work of Antony Gaudi, Park Guell, the Casa Batllo and the many World Heritage sites. I would especially like to see Gaudi's still unfinished cathedral, The Sagrada Familia (see above). It looks like nothing else I've ever seen, and over what few weeks I've spent in Europe over my lifetime I must've seen hundreds of Cathedrals and churches.
2. Spend some time on the beach. Barcelona was named the best beach city in the world by National Geographic and apparently third best beaches in general in the world. As someone who grew up in a landlocked state, beaches are always exciting to me - plus I've never been to the Mediterranean!
3. Take a day trip to monastery at Montserrat for spectacular mountain views of Catalonia and for the magnificent rock faces of the mountains themselves, which the monastery is nestled amongst.
4. Eat at the Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria, (or La Boqueria), a massive, historic public food market. I love trying the local produce in particular, and in a place like Barcelona that is so close to the Mediterranean, the fruit will probably be especially flavorful.
5. Buy something unique from one of the vintage stores or boutiques on the Carrer De La Riera Baixa, Barcelona's hippest street for shopping. Apparently, it's actually quite affordable and you can find practically anything there from as early as the 19th century.

Now, if I'm really lucky, I'll get to go to Barcelona for free by winning a trip from GoWithOh.com! But you too can enter to win fabulous prizes through their Facebook competition, so go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment